Monday, February 6, 2017

Research Journal #1

What was the process by which you narrowed down potential topics to two appropriate ones? And how were these decisions made on the basis of either class discussion, or our course textbook (Aveyard 2014), or both?

Mental Health - This was the example that was used in class and from there I began to research journals relating to mental health.
Stress and/or Anxiety - After researching mental health articles through the American Journal of Public Health, I began to narrow down my key terms to stress and anxiety.
Cause - While searching these topics I began the different causes of stress and anxiety.
Caffeine - After looking through a few articles I read how caffeine can play a major role in causing stress and/or anxiety.

What research question did you choose, and how can I be sure you're making a reasoned, academic judgment on the basis of chapters 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?

My research question is:
What causes stress/anxiety?
What are the outside factors that are known to cause stress/anxiety?
Should we consider our nutritional diet when it comes to stress/anxiety?
Does caffeine increase stress/anxiety?

What article (or articles) are you basing this question on, and what type of article is it research, theory, policy, practice? (Cite in APA)

Eaton, W. W., & Mcleod, J. (1984). Consumption of coffee or tea and symptoms of anxiety. American Journal of Public Health, 74(1), 66-68. doi:10.2105/ajph.74.1.66

Childs, E., Hohoff, C., Deckert, J., Xu, K., Badner, J., & Wit, H. D. (2008). Association between ADORA2A and DRD2 Polymorphisms and Caffeine-Induced Anxiety. Neuropsychopharmacology, 33(12), 2791-2800. doi:10.1038/npp.2008.17

How can I be sure that the key vocabulary of the question corresponds not only to literature in the field, and also to chapter 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)

Though it may be difficult to relate each topic to chapters 1-3, I will turn my focus onto starting each research topic based off the key points within the 3 chapters. 

Based on what your question is, what kind of literature are you going to need? Again, please explicitly reference the text. What is your hierarchy of evidence?

Systematic reviews of individuals experiencing stress/anxiety in their daily lives.
Case study results on those who have experienced stress/anxiety while consuming caffeine.
Stats. on those who are affected by stress/anxiety that do or do not consume caffeine.

How exactly did you research question arise out of "practice"?

Stress/anxiety have always interested me because it is genetic in my family, and I am curious o see if caffeine really does play a major role in its diagnosis. 

How do you define your key terms, and how do these definitions link to key journals in the field?

Mental Health = mental wellness
Stress/Anxiety = a state of excessive uneasiness and apprehension, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome
Caffeine = a stimulant of the central nervous system, commonly found in coffee and tea

Did anything unexpected happen? From your initial search, does it appear as though your research question will work? Or does the vocabulary and/or type of research sought need to be changed?

Nothing unexpected happened.
I have scheduled and appointment with the writing center to combat my research question and discuss how I can change it for the better. 

Any final thoughts?

Like I said I am going to the writing center to discuss my topic, research question, and eventually thesis. I also noted that I would like to find more current articles that relate to my current topic.







No comments:

Post a Comment